POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rotation calculation problem : Rotation calculation problem Server Time
16 Aug 2024 06:18:45 EDT (-0400)
  Rotation calculation problem
From: Arie Stavchansky
Date: 11 Mar 2002 08:04:27
Message: <64ap8uol71hi0c38lhuo23tcbdh9apr3du@4ax.com>
Hi Everybody!  It's been a while since I posted here, and it's good to
see all the work is flowing out.  I haven't had time to use POV Ray in
some time but want to get back working on it.

I do, however, have a question that some of you may be able to help
with.  It involves rotations.

Let's say I make a rectangle, and then apply a 3D
trasform filter.  I have extruded it and rotated it with NO
PERSPECTIVE.  Then I decide I want to place text on at least two sides
of the new 3D box.  Well, I know for certain that I can accurately
rotate (in 3D space) a text object to match one sides, but how can I
accurately place text on the other sides of the box so that it matches
the angle of this side.  In other words, how can I find out the angles
of which to rotate objects so that they match any side of the
transformed rectangle?  I imagine that this is simply a math problem,
but don't know how to approach it.  For example, if you rotate a
rectangle and extrude it, then you should be able to calculate the
angle for all sides of the box.  Am I mistaken?

Please see the following graphic to gain a clearer sense of what I am
speaking of:

http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~arie/problem

Thank you for your time and help!